Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Ooey gooey or hard and sticky?

This week is all about caramels! 

First off, many people insist you must use a candy thermometer.  After attempting this using the thermometer, I  found it was actually easy to prepare by sight.  When the caramel is nearing the right temperature, the bubbles slow down and become more infrequent.  It`s almost as if the bubbles are talking to you.  I liken the bubbles to those found in flowing movie lava, almost as if the concoction is yawning.  Let this cook a little longer and you are almost there!  Use the ice water trick to then test for doneness by dropping a bit of the mix into water and seeing if it forms a soft ball.  When I say ball, it is usually more of a raised blob instead of instantly turning stringy.  Caramel is done at this point!  If you cook it any longer, it will turn hard when you remove it.

I also found a new recipe that makes a delicious caramel.  Cooked the first batch a touch too long and ended up with hard caramels that are reminiscent of skor toffee.  Really yummy but hard on the teeth!  The next batch, failure to cook sugars a touch longer resulted in a lighter, sweeter caramel.  I also cooked the caramel to a lower temperature (to ensure I avoided the hard caramel) resulting in a slightly soft caramel that will be made into pecan clusters.  Thus far, I have failed to get the optimal result I desire - caramels that are firm enough to hold shape but still soft and chewy.  On next attempt, I will cook the caramel a touch longer to achieve those perfect caramel squares!

No comments:

Post a Comment